WCI’s General Superintendent provides the knowledge, skills and experience required to manage the day-to-day field operations of task orders and/or larger lump sum institutional and/or commercial construction projects. General Superintendents are responsible for managing other Superintendents and the self-performing staff in the production aspects of the work and are accountable for: producing quality work that is constructed consistent with the standard’s set forth in the project’s contract.
Essential Functions of General Superintendent Position
Expert working knowledge of civil, architectural, mechanical or electrical discipline and a strong expert understanding of the other disciplines. Expert working knowledge of construction means, and methods associated with the renovation and construction of commercial and institutional buildings and site work.
The ability to effectively communicate with management, subcontractors, customers and peer group. Ability to travel to different jobsites within a designated geographical area.
General Superintendent Responsibilities
- Leading and managing the day-to-day field activities to ensure that all project milestone dates, and overall schedule completion dates are met
- Creating and coordinating short-interval look-ahead project schedules that make sure that upcoming events are communicated, tracked and are being proactively attended to.
- Creating and maintaining a culture that values safety, health and cleanliness.
- Managing and coordinating the work to ensure that it is constructed in an orderly and deliberate manner that is consistent with the standard-of-care set forth in the contract documents that is viewed by industry as an effort that is consistent with best-practice standards;
- Verifying that all work is installed in a workmanlike manner (i.e.: plumb, level, straight, etc...)
- Manage and look-ahead no less than two months to proactively identifying issues that could lead to problems and facilitate solutions.
- Obtaining all inspections and ensuring that the quality aspects of the physical work are fully documented.
- Ensuring all aspects of the project are compliant with all contract terms and legal requirements that govern the project and the community in which the project(s) takes place.
- Administering client specific programs, such as CQC, Safety, Environmental Stewardship, etc.
- Conducting and/or participating in regularly held meetings involving WCI internal staff and external stake holders such as owners, subcontractors, etc.
- Meeting with client representatives on a regular basis to discuss the status of projects, to proactively identify and resolve problems and to assure that the client is kept knowledgeable about the status of the work.
- Managing self-performed activities to ensure that work is being performed within the established project budget
- Managing changes in project scope to ensure that the most contemporary contract documents are always being used to prevent avoidable rework.
- Administering contracts, subcontracts, purchase orders and other agreement to ensure that the scope, terms and conditions are consistently and proactively being met.
- Managing the punch list and project closeout process to assure timely completion.
- Maintaining daily paperwork such as timecards, field reports, schedule updates and E-mail correspondence
- Providing timely and cordial interaction with supporting work groups, such as accounting, HR etc.
- Directing and managing the work loads of supporting staff to include training, mentoring and follow up
- A.S degree in Construction Management or similar field with 10+ years of related experience or a
- Journeyman status in a building trade (i.e. Carpenter) with 20+ years of progressive responsibility supervising construction.
- A minimum of 7 years of experience in government contracting preferred.
- US Citizenship required for most positions.