Pipefitter – Journeyman
The incumbent performs skilled pipefitting tasks in the installation, repair, and maintenance of HVAC pipeline systems. S/he may occasionally oversee and direct the work of a small group of laborers.
KEY TASKS & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Measures and marks pipes for cutting, threading, and welding.
- Lays out full-scale drawings of pipe systems, supports, and related information from blueprints.
- Plans pipe system layout, installation, and repair according to specifications.
- Selects pipe and related materials for projects, such as supports, hangers, and hydraulic systems.
- Inspects and tests installed systems and pipelines, using pressure gauge, hydrostatic testing, observation, or other approved methods.
- Assembles pipe sections, tubings, and fittings using couplings, clamps, screws, bolts, cement, plastic solvent, caulking, or soldering, brazing, and/or welding equipment.
- Fills pipes with water/air and observes pressure gauges to detect and locate leaks.
- Reviews blueprints and specifications to determine work details and procedures.
- Locates and marks the position of pipe installations, connections, penetrations, and fixtures in structures using measuring instruments such as rulers and levels.
- Measures, cuts, threads, and bends pipe using hand power tools or machines.
- Cuts openings in structures to accommodate pipes and pipe fittings using hand and power tools.
- Hangs steel supports from ceiling joists to hold pipes in place.
- Installs underground storm, sanitary, and water piping systems.
- Uses specialized techniques, equipment, or materials to perform computer assisted welding of small pipes, and work with special piping used in microchip fabrication.
- Inspects equipment, structures, and materials to identify the cause of errors, safety hazards, or other issues, and solutions or escalates them appropriately.
- Facilitates knowledge transfer and teaches trade skills to less experienced tradespeople.
- Work tasks for this position are regularly performed in indoor/outdoor environments, intermittently in confined spaces, and routinely require the use of tools such as pipe dies, power threading and cutting machines, hammers, wrenches, torches, and channel locks.
- Depending on the work location, the incumbent may be exposed to extreme temperatures, inclement weather, noise, poor ventilation/lighting, and other hazards or conditions typically associated with a construction job site.
- This position may require up to 15% travel.
- Graduation from high school, vocational school, or training equivalent.
- 5+ years of related experience in pipefitting work on a variety of installations.
- Ability to work from blueprints, sketches, and oral instructions under limited supervision.
- Must be construction-document and drawing literate, with knowledge of all phases of construction.
- Demonstrated knowledge of the methods, practices, techniques, tools, and equipment employed in the joining, jointing, cutting, bending, threading of all types of HVAC piping.
- General knowledge of the hazards of the trade and necessary precautionary measures.
- Willingness and ability to work nights and overtime on an as-needed basis.
- Capacity to leverage leadership skills to facilitate learning, teamwork, and collaborative relationships.
- Valid Driver’s License.
- Rigging and Signaling Certification.
- Forklift Certification.
- Aerial and Scissor Lift Certification.
- Completed OSHA 30-Hour Training.
- Current First Aid/CPR Certification.
- Qualified candidates are asked to apply to this position directly via our Open Opportunities page at https://harperbuildingsystems.com/careers/open-opportunities.
Your application has been successfully submitted.