Public Works Service Worker I – Solid Waste & Recycling
This job is no longer accepting applications.
These positions perform non-skilled and skilled manual laborer, drive trucks and operate equipment to support construction and maintenance activities within the Public Works Department.
- Perform collection of solid waste and recycling materials through the use of automatic lift equipment, and manual manipulation of carts and bins. Also, required to retrieve spillage by hand and put into truck.
- Drive routes and collect garbage, recycling, yard waste, special items. Will also sort materials and transport them to appropriate drop off site.
- Responsible for the safe driving and operation of trucks and construction equipment including:
- Skid-steer loaders, pup-rollers, toilers, trucks, snowplows, solid waste, collection trucks and sweepers, jet trucks, vac trucks and other equipment, as assigned
- Those assigned to solid waste will perform driving 50% of the time and loading and unloading 50% of the time.
- Perform daily inspection and maintenance checks on vehicle(s) and machinery/equipment used; and record and file daily records of vehicle condition and/or mechanical problems.
- Perform and make daily routine inspection and adjustments/minor service work on equipment/machinery utilized, including the attachment connection to the equipment, such as cleaning, washing, greasing, and lubricating.
- Participate in safety meetings, right-to-know training, and tool-box meetings; participate in workplace accident and injury reduction programs, and other OSHA mandated training.
Education: High school diploma, GED or equivalent
Public Works Service Worker I Specific Qualifications:
- Work Experience: One year of experience performing manual labor in a similar environment, material handling (i.e. freight handling, box truck/cube vans), and prior experience in the operation of construction equipment. (This experience must be clearly indicated on your application. Failure to do so may result in disqualification)
- License/Certifications: Possess and continue to maintain a valid Class B (or better) Commercial Driver’s License with no Air Brake Restrictions; and applicants must be able to present proof of a valid Commercial Driver’s License with no air brake restriction at the time of the physical agility test and at the time of hire. Note: “PERMIT” Commercial Driver’s License and/or those obtained after the physical agility test ARE NOT acceptable. Tanker endorsement may be required for some positions. Applicants are encouraged to secure a tanker endorsement prior to the physical agility test.
Your application has been successfully submitted.